Rattle/Buzz behind Traction control button?

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
Pull the traction button out, and discharge an entire can of spray foam up in it. That'll fix it.

thats the problem the traction button doesnt just pull out like you think it would. the lower dash has to come down to access it

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Ok so I figured out a temporary fix. It's not optimal for a new 50k plus car but I went to Lowe's and bought some window sealer foam strips. I cut a small piece and double stacked it putting it on the edge of dash area best the traction button . When the door is shut it compresses the foam and the buzzing sound is gone.

It's not great to have foam there but you can really only see it when the door is open. You might have to play around with positioning to get the right
1000002061.png
PXL_20240301_010025321.MP.png
PXL_20240301_010233999.png
So is the buzzing from the door rubbing the dash intermittently?

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So is the buzzing from the door rubbing the dash intermittently?

the door and dash dont actually rub ...its the side of the dash buzzes at the traction button location on bumpy roads unless there is pressure on it. the foam being compressed between the door and dash is applying the pressure to prevent that.

Reactions: JJL

mikecarpage

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Z Performance M/T, '03 BMW 540i M/T, '03 CL55
Occupation
Sales
I just began experiencing this issue in my 2024 Z at 560 miles (4th time driving). It's quite the annoyance on a new car and I hope it'll fizzle itself out.

Appreciate all the info here.

up4speed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Nismo, 2021 BMW M2, 2019 Ferrari 488
Even though I don't hear the buzz, I was tapping around on my car to see if there is anything loose.
I found that the attachment behind the hood release sounds loose, so I think it could make the noise that is being described here.
Just take your finger, and move it around hitting everything behind that button (no need to pull it out, just leave it in it's normal position). There is a gap under the button. You will feel a lose peice of plastic and it makes a rattling sound. Try tapping around, and let me know if you think that this is creating that noise.
The bad news is that if it was the problem, I can't really figure out how to tighten it up, as it seems to be part of the linkage of the hood release pull.

bearingexpert

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z 2023
Occupation
Manager
@MCN1SMO I've got a rattle / buzz in that area on my 23' with 2k miles on the odo. I originally thought it was the speaker grill but am now wondering if it's the same thing you're hearing. Do you have a video or anything you can share?
I also thought that It was the speaker, I will pay attention to that to see if I have the same issue

bearingexpert

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z 2023
Occupation
Manager
I've noticed after 175 miles of ownership a plastic on plastic rattle/buzz what seems to be behind the traction control button. If you put pressure on the outer rim of the button while driving it goes away. Also goes away sometimes on it's on when the Z is warmed up inside.

Was this common in the 370s? Anyone know of a simple fix without digging into the dash or wasting precious hours of my life at a dealership?

PXL_20231116_194535526.jpg
I have the same issue, but I was thinking that it was from the speaker, I will check that button
Thanks for the tip

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have the same issue, but I was thinking that it was from the speaker, I will check that button
Thanks for the tip

one other thing ive noticed it while it might be the taction button the noise can be "fixed" by compressing the part of the dash around it. so while your are driving stick your finger in the gap in between the side of the dash and the door to where your finger kind of wedges that soft touch material. if it should make the noise go away if its the same issue I have. once you know that you can just get a little piece of rubber or thick weather strip to out there until you find a permanent solution. the weather strip works good for me if I double stack it but after a few weeks it will flatten out and the sound will come back. If I had something more firm that it would 100% fix the noise

D2M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nismo Z, Veloster N, Ram 2500
I have same exact rattle. Stuck my finger in the gap while driving and gone.. Not really bothering me at the moment.

weissk93

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z Performance
Recently got my Nissan Z. Same exact issue. Thank you for taking the time to explore. I did the same exact thing and it stopped the rattle.

Let us know if you come up with a more permanent fix.

IMG_0426.jpeg

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
nice to see I started a trend of weather strip mod lol

I think a permanent fix would be putting some sound deadening on the side of the dash basically on the inside of where your stripping material is now. I think that would mean pulling the lower part of the dash down as I tried and you cant really get to that area underneath. you can see the back of the traction switch if you lay on your back in a super awkward position... just no real way to place anything up there.

I might have the dealer look at it next oil change but since the strip works im just gonna keep using that

one tip on the weather stripping is it will eventually get mashed down and less thick and the rattle will come back so either swap in a fresh few pieces or find something a little more firm like a rubber version

weissk93

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z Performance
nice to see I started a trend of weather strip mod lol

I think a permanent fix would be putting some sound deadening on the side of the dash basically on the inside of where your stripping material is now. I think that would mean pulling the lower part of the dash down as I tried and you cant really get to that area underneath. you can see the back of the traction switch if you lay on your back in a super awkward position... just no real way to place anything up there.

I might have the dealer look at it next oil change but since the strip works im just gonna keep using that

one tip on the weather stripping is it will eventually get mashed down and less thick and the rattle will come back so either swap in a fresh few pieces or find something a little more firm like a rubber version
Thanks. I had this laying around. I used this in my garage to put my trash/recycling up against without hitting the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9CDPFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure where I can find a true rubber one the same size. I'll see how this holds up.

OP
OP
MCN1SMO

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks. I had this laying around. I used this in my garage to put my trash/recycling up against without hitting the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9CDPFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure where I can find a true rubber one the same size. I'll see how this holds up.

This is exactly what Im using just from home Depot. I've had to swap it out a few times so was just thinking something slightly more firm would be more permanent but at the same time it doesn't need to be so firm is makes an impression into the door or dash when closed